24,196 GT ro-ro ferry “Selandia Seaways” has been modernised at German Dry Docks (GDD) in Bremerhaven. The vessel, owned by Danish shipping company DFDS, spent around two weeks in floating dock V.
Alongside various naval and mechanical engineering work, the 195 metre-long ferry underwent extensive refurbishment and maintenance work to the bow thruster, propeller blades and stern ramp. According to GDD Project Manager David Porath, there was also considerable painting work to be done on the “Selandia Seaways” as part of the rebranding – a brand relaunch, with all ships in the 40-unit DFDS fleet being given an entirely new image. In addition to a new underwater coat, the vessel – which was built at Italian ship yard Fincantieri 18 years ago as the lead ship of three ro-ro ferries – received a completely new coat of dark blue paint on its hull. The “DFDS Seaways” lettering on the side was replaced with the company logo and the Maltese cross, along with the lettering “DFDS”.
Ferry with 2800 metres of loading space on three decks
The “Selandia Seaways” has a load capacity of 2800 metres on three decks, and operates a regular freight service between Rotterdam and Felixtowe. It has two nine-cylinder Wärtsilä 9ZA50S-type main engines with an output of 10,800 kW each. These were the first to be built under licence, by Grandi Motori Trieste in Italy. The ro-ro cargo ferry is also equipped with two bow thrusters, each with an output of 1100 kW.
The extension section for DFDS’ “Primula Seaways” was also docked in dock V at German Dry Docks, subsequently being installed by Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven. Three ships of this type have already been successfully extended by the former MWB Motorenwerke Bremerhaven AG’s shipbuilding department (now German Dry Docks Group) in the past.